Please be aware of planning application 171186 at Langley Pond Farm, School Road, Barkham Wokingham RG41 4TN. This is an Outline application to Wokingham Borough Council for residential development of 18 dwellings with access off School Road in Barkham.
There are a number of reasons for objecting to this planning application (some of which are listed below) and we urge residents to comment to WBC on the issues which are of concern to them. Comments should be sent to Mark Croucher, the WBC Planning Officer (details on the WBC website together with more details of the application).
- The area is prone to flooding especially in Wood Lane which is used by walkers and horse riders.
- This lies within open countryside and forms part of a green wedge, placing 18 properties will be detrimental to the character of the surrounding area - it does not make a positive contribution to the local area, it instead causes harm to it's character.
- All of the houses on this part of School Road are set back from the main road and are well spaced. This will completely change the character of this location especially since the plans advocate having the front properties lie “sideways” to the road.
- School Road is not a suitable access. It already has various traffic calming features due to the school. The junction with Langley Common Road is also unsatisfactory. School Road has a Primary School, a common way for horse riders and this section of the road is obviously "Green".
- The site is close to the Coombes Woodland - close proximity of protected species.
- This application would erode the separation of settlements. With other sites that are in the offing, we fear that there is a threat that the whole of the triangle between School Road and Langley Common Road (and land to the north) will be developed, effectively extending Arborfield all the way down the hill.
- Wokingham has an ample 5 year land supply and this site is not part of the current Wokingham Borough Local Plan for potential development.
If this site goes through, then it will be difficult to stop other similar schemes, with the result that there will be development most of the way from Barkham to Arborfield.
Barkham Development Watch